Thursday, September 25, 2008

"I Am Not a Rapper" Review pt. 3

Mary Knox Reviews "I AM NOT A RAPPER"

"Being a HUGE fan of hip hop, I jumped at the chance to be one of the lucky ones to preview the newest mixtape from J. Nolan.. "I Am Not A Rapper." I was beyond pleased that this starts off with an explanation of the difference between the emcee vs. the "rapper." I think it was an excellent start to the mixtape. It definetly gives you the much needed introduction to what you are about to take in on this mixtape.J. definetly shows his skills on ALL of the tracks, but I'll just touch on the ones that struck a chord in ME. Personally I think he totally snapped on the "Hero" beat.. Track 3's "Save The Planet" which many of you have heard on the myspace page, is a definite attention getter. I went out to a hip hop outing, and heard the "Hero" song, and all that was in my head was "I save the planet, u niggaz watch.." CLASSIC. Another, is "Back On The Scene," Track 6. This is one of my favorites, hands down. This track brought a smile to my face when I heard the beat kick in, it takes you back to the days when hip hop was in its rare form. It's the shortest musical piece on the mixtape, but if you love it like I do, you'll be playing the track TWICE. Another ear catching track is "Obsessed Fan." This has a storytelling type of vibe that true heads can identify with.. has a bit of an old school feel, almost reminds me of the head nodding vibe that "Poor Georgie" had on my life from MC Lyte back in the day. It makes you really listen and think! My favorite track is "Smarten Up" .. he rides this beat like a champ.. confident sounds all around. This one will keep your head nodding.. "..i'm rappin it up like i'm wrappin it up, ya career is a gift and i'm wrappin it up.." NUFF' SAID.The last track i'll touch on is "SoUrban Style." He definetly holds his own on this jazzy track.. this just proved 2 me that he can hold down whatever you throw his way. He ripped part of the verse wit the beat playing in reverse.. I was sold!!Needless to say, my cd player will probably wear this mixtape out, but will be well worth it! Although beauty is in the ears of the beholder, I can assure you will NOT be disappointed. Make sure you download J. Nolan's mixtape "I Am Not A Rapper" THIS friday, 9/26.P.S. Peace UP, A-Town Down goes out to Lil RockRawk! lol! :)~Mary Knox~"
Thank you very much! Very similar standout tracks so far for those that have heard it, I'll have to put one of those up pretty soon. I'm super anxious to get this mixtape out!
J.Nolan is Cool

No comments: